The Building in the Mid 19th Century
The mid 19th century saw numbers 11 and 12 Bartholomew Row (Building A) demolished and later re-built. This is illustrated on the Piggot Smith map of circa 1855 (Map 3). This map also proves the existence of the structures to the rear of 9 and 10 (Building E), the disposition of the tunnel/passage entrance to the rear, and the surviving area to the south of the rear early 19th century warehouse wing and passage entrance to it off Fox Street. Also of interest are back-to-back houses, one side facing Fox Street and the other facing a courtyard behind the Bartholomew Row buildings. These back-to-backs seem to have been an early 19th century feature in Fox Street, as they were developed both sides of it.
By the mid 19th century, the title to the 9/10 Bartholomew Row and the Fox Street premises behind (numbers 16/17 Fox Street) were taken over by John Thompson.
The 1836 directory states that 11 Bartholomew Row was a house, shop and premises and similar separately at 12 Bartholomew Row.
Numbers 11 and 12 (Building A) were re-built, presumably by the late 1860s (the plot remains unfilled in Piggot Smith’s map of 1863). The use of the rear premises as a malt house remained in 1864, but this use was changed by the 1871 directory, when 9/10 Bartholomew Row was separately owned by Samuel Brigg as two houses, workshops and premises, while 16/19 Fox Street (Building E3) – ie including the land behind 7/8 Bartholomew Row – was operated as stables, workshops and premises by Joshua Bowater. His enterprise evidently flourished and by 1876 he occupied 16-20 Fox Street. It was presumably during this period that the surviving characteristic stucco-finished front to Fox Street with double arched opening at ground level was created.