The First Developments
Bartholomew Row was developed from the mid 18th century following the construction of the St Bartholomew’s Chapel in the late 1740s. Certainly by 1779 the site of the Christopher Wray works was developed with six houses part of a larger terrace facing St Bartholomew Churchyard.
Fox Street seems to have developed in a rather ad hoc way following construction of Bartholomew Row, but certainly the 1788 map by Thomas Hanson (Map 1) shows a mix of buildings here, but Fox Street unnamed.
The houses on Bartholomew Row seem to have been quite small and paired with a central tunnel entrance to access their rear gardens/areas, with doors to the street. Of all the surviving fabric of the site, only the ground floor of number 9 retains the latter feature. Indeed only number 9 and 10 Bartholomew Row (Building B) survive at all from this original period of construction of the whole of the street. Number 9 also retains what seems to be a small original, or early, extension to the rear. Certainly number 10 also had such an extension, but this no longer survives.