The Late 18th Century Developments
It would seem that by the end of the 18th century/beginning of the 19th century, William Spurrier had acquired both 9 and 10 Bartholomew Row and the land behind to Fox Street. He had built a malt house on Fox Street by 1800 and along with this had constructed a warehouse and shops by 1823 (Map 2). It is not clear exactly what comprised the ‘malt house’, but it seems most likely that the two storey block immediately to the rear of 9-10 Bartholomew Row was this building (Building E1). It has a vaulted brick fireproof floor and could certainly date to the turn of the 18th/19th centuries. Certainly the building onto Fox Street behind 9 and 10 Bartholomew Row (Building E3) was very heavily re-modelled in the mid/late 19th century, when it was stucco rendered. Part of this re-modelling was to reduce the southern arch opening into the site which, prior to this, had been much wider and clearly designed for access by wider, taller vehicles.