The Later 19th Century Onwards
By the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey plan was produced in 1889 (Map 4), the space behind 11 and 12 Bartholomew Row (Building A) was an open area, although the houses, obviously, had been re-built. Presumably this area was used by Bowater or others – the area had a brick wall to the street with a small gate. This arrangement seems to have existed for a short time only – perhaps the map was plotted while construction was underway, as by 1905 the surviving two storey factory blocks (Buildings C and F) had been constructed on it and the area formerly occupied by extensions behind the Bartholomew Row buildings. This development seems to have been the responsibility of Henry Austin Aquila, who made ginger beer here. It was presumably he who also formed the entry at ground level through 11 Bartholomew row, as he also occupied this building at that time.
The later 19th century saw a change of use in 9/10 Bartholomew Row (Building B) with a glass gilder, Jenkinson and Co, taking it over by 1876. By the time of the 1905 (Map 5) map, he occupied the whole of the plot facing both Bartholomew Row and Fox Street. Jenkinsons were superseded by Landon Brothers by 1910, and by 1928 occupied the entire site, gradually accumulating possession of all the buildings as they came up for sale, and hence responsible for keeping the whole site in one piece. Landon Brothers were component manufacturers, producing stampings, pressings and spinnings, mostly for the lighting trade. It was they who were taken over by Christopher Wray in 1982.
While, prior to the war, areas around Fox Street and Bartholomew Row had been cleared, the buildings at 7/8 Bartholomew Row and those to the rear on Fox Street survived and are shown on the 1937 Ordnance map (Map 6). By 1952 (Map 7), however, the church and the buildings north of 12 Bartholomew Row were lost to enemy action, as were 7 and 8 Bartholomew Row, to be replaced by a building that was used by the Landons for the storage of their raw materials. Following the acquisition by Christopher Wray, this building was re- modelled as a showroom.
Christopher Wray’s occupation of the buildings ceased in the summer of 2005 and the buildings have been empty and unused ever since.